Why this story matters:
Prime Minister Andrej Babiš was questioned for the first time on Thursday, June 7, as a suspect in the Stork Nest case, together with his wife Monika and daughter Adriana Bobekova.
Simultaneously with the Czech investigation, an enquiry was conducted by the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF). OLAF handed over its report to the Czech Finance Ministry last December.
The EU report concluded that numerous laws had been broken.
Babiš is accused, together with six other people, of EU subsidy fraud and faces charges of harming the EU's financial interests.
Police investigation of the Stork Nest case began in 2015 after an anonymous tip. If convicted, the Czech PM could face up to ten years in prison.
Details from the story:
- Andrej Babiš is accused of carrying out a fake ownership transfer of the farm to make it eligible for a grant intended for small- and medium-sized businesses.
- In 2013, Babiš said he did not know to whom Stork Nest farm belonged.
- In 2016, he told parliament that when the farm was granted 50 million euros from EU funds, it was owned by his two children and his common-law-wife’s brother.
- Babiš’s immunity over the Stork Nest case has been removed once again by the Czech parliament, despite his victory in last October's elections.
- The Czech PM has accused OLAF of bias, claiming that the Stork Nest case was politicised both in Prague and Brussels.
- The Agrofert company has filed a complaint with the European ombudsman and European Court of Justice.